2009: The Review
With 2009 coming to a pretty fast close alot of amazing things have happened regarding cycling in Kerry. While I have been looking out at bad weather for the past number of weeks (some would say months!) I have had a good opportunity to reflect on the year of cycling that is soon to be over. Personally I cycled more miles this year that I have done in a good few years. My total this year is 2755, which falls short of my goal of 3000 but between injury and bad weather this year I am pretty happy.
The following table and chart are my 2009 summary:
|No. of Cycles:||81|
|Average Speed:||16.44 mph|
I completed the following sportives in 2009:
- Donal Crowley Memorial Sportive
- Stephen Roche Tour de Cure
- Killorglin CC Leisure Tour
- Currow CC Sportive
- Annual Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle
- Sean Kelly Tour
- Rebel Tour
- Chain Gang: Conor Pass Challenge
- Castleisland Day Care Cycle
I finally got around to buying a MTB bike which I have wanted to do and I am using it! I started this blog and website and found that although it is still only in it’s infancy it has enriched my life, hopefully it will enrich yours too! If it weren’t for all of you coming back every day it would have never have happened. Thank you!
The following have been my favourite cycling moments of 2009:
- Favorite Bike: There is only one winner, my Bianchi 1885!!
- Favorite Sportive: Rebel tour, down to weather and form, was feeling pretty good that day.
- Favorite Cycle: Killarney -> Barradfuff -> Gneeveguilla -> Scartaglin – > Tralee, over 70 miles of solitary bliss.
- Favorite Race I watched: Tour de France, particular stage 3 and the split in the peleton, nice!
- Favorite Cycling Purchase: New Carrera Vengeance Mountain Bike.
All in all a pretty good year considering. Watch out for the 2010 preview!