Checking out the alternatives

Posted: February 6, 2016 · By: Dave Elton · Comments: 2
Under: Blog
Previous Post:

Tralee Park Run

Just when you think we’ve turned the corner weather wise, we’re hit with heavy rain, dark skies and unpredictable winds. Now I don’t mind a bit of discomfort but sometimes you have to call as you see fit. There are times when cycling in strong winds and heavy rain becomes a dangerous pastime.

So you’re awake early and a little disappointed at not getting your Saturday morning exercise. You could always turn over and enjoy a lie-in? Too awake! A short spin later in the day around town? NO…this weather is down for the weekend! Walk? Maybe! What about the local Park Run? I’m up already, the porridge is on and I’m kitted out!

Locally the Tralee Park Run has been in operation for over a year. It starts at 9:30 am every Saturday and consists of 3 laps around the town park. This amounts to 5 km. From a personal perspective “run” is a none starter. Running and myself are never going to be the best of buddies, so I see it more as the Tralee Park Walk!

The event is volunteer run and very well organised. The route is well-marked out. The paths are in good condition considering the weather. They have about 10 stewards dotted around the route. As well as a not too overwhelming sound system, which beats out the thumping rock hits from the last 50 years. It’s not everyday you hear The Undertones at 10 am in a town park.

This month they have come together in Ireland with operation transformation. This is great news as despite the bad weather over 200 people took part. I would say 75% of the people there would have a go at running it in some shape or form, with the other 25% just happy to enjoy the walk. The athletes? Everything from the seasoned local athletics club member, to the lady with the dog and the dad with the push chair. It really is something for everyone.

From a personal point of view I found it very enjoyable. There was a great buzz and lots of energy at the event. Everyone was so friendly and the slowest people had it done in an hour. The only thing you need to do is to register on the Park Run website, print off a bar code card and you are good to go. At the finish they scan your card, give you a tag which you then give back and head to the Brandon Hotel for a well-earned cup of tea…Job done!

For the record I came home in 185th place with a time of 44:18. Down on my PB which is 43:39. I blame the wind! Results 6/2/2016

Previous Post:
Checking out the alternatives: 2 Comments
  • Tony
    7 years ago

    Thanks Dave. I’ve added a link to your blog on our Run Report. Tony

  • Dave Elton
    7 years ago

    Thanks Tony. Great stuff. Thanks for a great morning. Dave

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.